Study Permit

Eligibility for applying for a study permit inside or outside Canada: 

–  Enrolling at a designated learning institution (DLI)  

– Obtain a letter of acceptance from a designated learning institution in order to submit an application for a study permit 

– Proof with the document that you have enough money to pay for your tuition fees, living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada and return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada 

– Clear criminal record that proves you will not be a risk to the security of Canada.  

– Convince the immigration officer that you will leave Canada after your studies. 

Especially during busy periods such as the summer months, potential delays may occur as processing times vary. Therefore, it is very important to apply for a study permit immediately after receiving the acceptance letter. 

Upon approval of the application, the prospective student will receive: 

Letter of Introduction (LOI): This document confirms the student got approval but is not the study permit itself. The student must provide the Letter of Introduction to the immigration official upon arriving in Canada. After that, The immigration official may issue the study permit to the student. 

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA): If the student comes from one of the countries requiring an eTA, it will be indicated on the Letter of Introduction. The eTA, linked to the applicant’s passport, necessitates travel with the same passport used in the study permit application. 

Temporary Resident Visa (TRV): If the student comes from one of the countries requiring a TRV, the student visa will be physically present in the passport. The student must enter Canada before the TRV expires. On the TRV, it is specified whether it is a single-entry or multiple-entry visa. All applicants are automatically considered for multiple-entry TRVs. 

It’s important to note that a separate TRV application is not required when applying for a study permit. Upon approval, the TRV will be issued alongside the Letter of Introduction. 

Suppose an international student will start from elementary school to high school or from high school to a post-secondary institution. In that case, they are required to apply for a change in the conditions of the study permit. After their graduation, the students have a couple of options: first, they can apply to change their status as a visitor, they can apply for PGWP, and apply for another study permit to continue a different study program. 

Find more information about study in Canada 

Get Advice Now

Find a Service Provider